[j-nsp] Uplink failure detection in EX series

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Tue Mar 15 07:25:59 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm wondering if it possible to configure something equivalent to the
EX2500's Uplink Failure Detection on the JUNOS-based EX series switches?
I want to designate a couple of interfaces as uplink ports, and if they
all go down, all the other ports on the switch should be disabled as well.

I want to avoid repeats of an interesting failure I just experienced: an
EX top-of-rack switch lost both its uplinks simultaneously, most likely
due to lacpd failing to do its job - both uplinks were 802.3ad LAGs, and
rebooting the switch solved the problem in the end. In any case, since
the downstream access ports stayed up, the servers didn't fail over to
the other switch in the rack and therefore lost connectivity. So much
for redundancy... :-/

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson