[j-nsp] 10.0 or 10.4?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Mar 15 12:14:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 07:43:25PM +1100, Chris Kawchuk wrote:
> Just installed 14 x MX960s for a large Aussie Mobile company - The
> release train we've decided on is 10.4R2 for now, due to EEOL support;
> and the fact that 10.0 didn't support a few of the cards we added.
> (16x10GE Trio for example didn't come till 10.2).

I hear people make this argument a lot, but in many cases it seems to be
more of a knee-jerk reaction than a logical decision. The EEOL branches
are definitely interesting once you get into the post-R4 timeframe, but
I question the sensibility of trying to deploy it in the R2 timeframe
just because it is the EEOL train.

Honestly, in many cases the code doesn't even begin to get stable until
it reaches R4 and EOL status. The problem we run into is that we almost
always discover at least one serious bug in every R4, no matter how
well-intentioned the development efforts, but because R4 marks the end
of engineering status we're constantly chasing the next branch to get a
bugfix for things introduced in the previous branch. Of course what that
really means is we discover all new brokeness in the new branch, and the
cycle starts all over again. EEOL releases can end up being a lot more
stable since you aren't introducing any new features (though anyone who
tells you they don't introduce a ton of new bugs just doing service
releases is completely full of it :P), so they're a good thing.

But, what is the real benefit to deploying 10.4R2 now, as opposed to say
10.3R3? Either way you'll have to do an upgrade later on, so until you
get to 10.4R4 there is no difference in 10.4 being the EEOL branch. We
recently spent a fair bit of time trying to decide between 10.3R3 and
10.4R2 for a lot of MX960 and EX8200 upgrades, and came to the
conclusion that 10.4R2 was significantly buggier. Why JTAC is
recommending it I can't even begin to guess, I really think they have
the recommended version page hooked up to a random number generator some
days, but in our testing it wasn't even close.

Which isn't to say 10.3R3 is perfect, but it's definitely on the "less
broken than ever" side of things. So far we haven't had any issues with
Trio hardware or snmp problems that we saw in 10.2R3 or 10.3R2, and if
you carry a large number of BGP routes with communities you'll see some
significant performance gains in policy evaluation which can improve
convergence times quite a bit. Off the top of my head some issues we've
seen with 10.3R3 so far are:

* Syslogging of BGP messages seems quite broken, in many cases not
logging state changes correctly at all.
* ISIS packets inside a l2circuit are eatten by MX's when vlan-mapping
is configured on the endpoint vlan-ccc.
* EX8200 power supplies will think they're running in 1200W 110V input
power mode if you reinsert them after a reboot, even if fed with 220V
power which should run them in 2000W mode. This will cause cards to
power down if the chassis thinks there is insufficient power, so you may
not have proper power supply redundancy.

No doubt there are plenty more too, but at least in a core service
provider role it's been a lot less bad (lets just say its nice to not
have to hard clear bgp neighbors to make policy changes take effect :P).

> I have also hear that 10.4 also included a mass
> re-write/re-development of a lot of the JunOS code; trying to bring it
> back within a manageable framework. (Note how it went from 10.2R3 to
> 10.4, skipping a 10.3 release for some platforms). Hence, 10.4 is the
> "new" code base. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing
> initially, but should only improve with time.

Actually it's the opposite, 10.3 and 10.4 were both "nobody touch
anything that isn't essential" no-feature releases, to try and bring the
development framework into a more manageable state. I'll confirm that
they're less broken than 10.2, but that certainly doesn't take much. :)