[j-nsp] Juniper equivalents for migration from Cisco

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Thu Mar 17 04:47:10 EDT 2011

We're a Cisco shop currently and I've been trying to identify the equivalent
Juniper products but am struggling a little.

We use 4900m in the core, 1GbE copper and fibre for up-links, 10GbE for
inter-switch links. It's mostly a switch but there is some layer 3, BGP
routing, VRFs. There doesn't appear to be a good match from Juniper. The
EX4500-40F comes closest but doesn't have the same modular flexibility. We
just don't need 40 ports per chassis from day one. Should I be looking at
the MX range instead?

We use 4948-10GE for access/TOR. The corresponding Juniper appears to be
EX4200-48T with EX-UM-2X4SFP.

If I've missed other options or am barking up the wrong tree any pointers
gladly appreciated.

cheers
Marty