[j-nsp] Juniper equivalents for migration from Cisco

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Mar 17 05:12:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Martin Barry <marty at supine.com> wrote:

> We're a Cisco shop currently and I've been trying to identify the
> equivalent
> Juniper products but am struggling a little.
>
> We use 4900m in the core, 1GbE copper and fibre for up-links, 10GbE for
> inter-switch links. It's mostly a switch but there is some layer 3, BGP
> routing, VRFs. There doesn't appear to be a good match from Juniper. The
> EX4500-40F comes closest but doesn't have the same modular flexibility.

I'm not aware of a Juniper switch as modular as the 4900M, but I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  I think you have to make some
sacrifices with the cisco box though.  For example when you use the twingig
modules in the 10G slot you sacrifice alot of buffer space.  I think the EX
is a little cheaper depending on your relationship with juniper, it's also
stackable.  You just have to decide if it fits your needs though.

We
> just don't need 40 ports per chassis from day one. Should I be looking at
> the MX range instead?

The MX80 is more of a ethernet router.  If you don't need the advanced
routing or the port density you'll probably end up spending too much.

> We use 4948-10GE for access/TOR. The corresponding Juniper appears to be
> EX4200-48T with EX-UM-2X4SFP.

agree.  The 3200 would work too, but I've never deployed one.  I almost
always want a VC.