[j-nsp] fpc fails to load after an upgrade of MX

Ido Szargel ido at oasis-tech.net
Sun Mar 20 07:50:47 EDT 2011

Hi All,

We have MX960 router which we upgraded from 10.2R3 to 10.4R2, we are encountering problems with one of our FPCs
The FPC is MX FPC Type 2 with 4x STM-4-1 SFP PIC and 1 SFP installed.

We upgraded one of our REs and had some issues in bringing the FPC online, several times it said "unresponsive" when issuing the show chassis fpc command.
Even after switching back to the RE with the 10.2R3 version it took it several minutes until the FPC was online.

The current status is Offline with reason "Chassis connection dropped" and when trying to bring it online with the request chassis fpc slot 2 online command we get an error message "FPC 2 is in transition, try again".

We upgraded another MX960 last week with the same exact FPC and software versions and had no such issues, did any one encounter such issues?

Regards,
Ido.