[j-nsp] snmp fan bug? and are environmental thresholds configurable?

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:20:19 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM, bas <kilobit at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a bunch of mx480's running either 10.3r3 and 10.4r2
> About 20 times a day the fans in these boxes switch from normal speed
> to intermediate speed.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but do you (or does anyone) know why
the fan speed changes like this?

I've noticed on EX-series, the fans go from 'spinning at normal speed'
to 'spinning at high speed' on a regular schedule even when the
ambient temperature hasn't significantly changed and the box isn't
doing much in particular.

We've got some EX2200 switches in physical spaces where the jet
engine-like noise the EX4200 generates isn't desirable. Unfortunately
the EX2200s make quite a racket when their fans spin at high speed as
well.

Cheers,
Dale