[j-nsp] snmp fan bug? and are environmental thresholds configurable?

bas kilobit at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 06:50:13 EDT 2011

Hi,

We have a bunch of mx480's running either 10.3r3 and 10.4r2
About 20 times a day the fans in these boxes switch from normal speed
to intermediate speed.

When this happens our nagios reports unknown status on the fans.
When I do a snmpwalk of oids .1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.13.1.6.4 and
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.13.1.6 I indeed see integer 1 (unknown)
This would suggest a bug right?
Or is it an old mib? In jnxOperatingState I see running and
runningAtFullSpeed only, or should intermediate be reported as
"running"?
I cannot find a mention of this issue in the release notes of 10.3 or 10.4

Either way, do any of you have a PR about the issue? It would save a
lot of time and effort if I open a case and mention a PR number.

My other question is related to the env thresholds.
Apparently the temperature in the facility where these boxes are
located is just around the threshold where these boxes switch from
normal to intermediate.
Does anyone know if these thresholds are configurable? I'd like to
change the threshold 2c lower.

Thanks,

Bas