[j-nsp] about 10.4R3 on EX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Mar 22 16:46:36 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:54:25PM -0700, Kaj Niemi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> <sarcasm>
> To whomever who decided to introduce new features in a R3 release, thanks
> ;-( Specifically installing jloader separately is highly appreciated.
> </sarcasm>

Sadly, they've been silently introducing new features in the middle of a
bug fix release (and introducing new bugs too, which is how I find out
about them) for a while now. But for extra bonus points, be prepared for
the upgrade to take a REALLY long time to complete too. :)

>From the release notes:

How Long Will the Upgrade Process Take?

The process of upgrading to a resilient dual-root partitions release
takes longer due to the additional step of upgrading the loader software
and a longer reboot time while the disk is reformattedto four partitions
during the reboot of the switch that completes the Junos OS upgrade. The
reformat increases the reboot time for EX2200, EX3200, EX4200, and
EX4500 switches by 5 to 10 minutes. For EX8200 switches, the reboot time
increases by 10 to 25 minutes per Routing Engine, and additional reboots
are required.