[j-nsp] about 10.4R3 on EX

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Wed Mar 23 20:09:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM, TiM <tim at muppetz.com> wrote:

> On Wed, March 23, 2011 8:54 am, Kaj Niemi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > <sarcasm>
> > To whomever who decided to introduce new features in a R3 release, thanks
> > ;-( Specifically installing jloader separately is highly appreciated.
> > </sarcasm>
>
> You'll probably be thanking them when your switch loses power* and when
> you restore it, you find your bootable filesystem isn't corrupted.
>
> At least I'm _hoping_ that's what this 4th partition is designed to fix.
>
> Context: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/juniper/25513
>
> Just to be fair.. The original point was to highlight the fact that they
add features in the "maintenance" releases which is still bad software
engineering.  These are supposed to be "dot" releases so that people know
when there is a potential for new bugs.  So instead of 10.4R3 there should
be something like 10.4.0R3 with normal partitioning and 10.4.1R3 with the
new features.  What if you're only upgrading to fix a PR only to find out
that ISSU is impossible and reboots will take longer?