[j-nsp] 10.0 or 10.4?

bas kilobit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:19:59 EDT 2011

To reply to my own email.

I tried running 10.4R3 on the MX960, but immediately it reported MQCHIP errors.

Mar 23 08:10:17  jun-tc2_re0 fpc4 MQCHIP(0) LI Packet length error, pt entry 9
Mar 23 08:10:18  jun-tc2_re0 fpc4 MQCHIP(0) LI Packet length error, pt entry 0
Mar 23 08:10:19  jun-tc2_re0 fpc1 MQCHIP(1) LI Packet length error, pt entry 28
Mar 23 08:10:20  jun-tc2_re0 fpc9 MQCHIP(1) LI Packet length error, pt entry 0

So we are back on 10.3R3 again, this time without rpd at 100% CPU.

On the maillist of a large European Internet exchange there was a post
of another network that had to downgrade to 10.3 due to a big issue
with IPv6 that affects all 10.4 releases. (PR/593849)

So it seems 10.4 is certainly a version to avoid for now.

Dear Juniper, if you are reading this; Please, please pretty please
deliver _one_ single version of Junos that can run plain v4/v6 ospf
and bgp with MX/trio in a decent fashion.

With sugar on top..... ?

Bas