[j-nsp] netflow sampling problem in 10.2

Chris Tracy ctracy at es.net
Thu May 19 14:11:55 EDT 2011

Hi Matjaž,

Comments in-line below.

> It is RE-based. We don't have a $MS-DPC :-(
> The config is very simple and it worked for us in 9.6. In firewall filters we use terms like that:
>
> term Sample {
>    then {
>        count cntrS_Sample;
>        sample;
>        next term;
>    }
> }
> (all these filters are ingress/input)
>
> ...and we sample with:
>
> [ forwarding-options sampling ]
> input {
>    rate 256;
>    run-length 0;
>    max-packets-per-second 8000;

There is a hard limit of 7000, you'll never get more than that with RE-based sampling.  I'd recommend lowering this, but this likely has nothing to do with your problem.

> family inet {
>    output {
>        flow-active-timeout 300;
>        flow-server *** {
>            port ***;
>            autonomous-system-type peer;
>            no-local-dump;
>            source-address x.y.z.w;
>            version 5;
>        }
>    }

I'd try changing this to:

[ remove family inet {...}, put directly under sampling { ... } ]

output {
    cflowd x.x.x.x {  /* instead of flow-server... */
       ...same...
    }
}

Please let the list know if this helps!