[j-nsp] J-Series Router Options

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:28:43 EST 2011

Ben,

Nobody is forcing the jseries to become firewalls. They did alter the
default behavior of the packet handling to be flow mode..but you can
configure that.

To enable "packet mode" junos. Just issue the following commands.

delete security
set security forwarding-options family mpls mode packet-based
set security forwarding-options family iso mode packet-based
set security forwarding-options family inet6 mode packet-based

This works on an SRX to turn it into a packet based device just the
same as it does for a jseries.

In regards to the flash size, I honestly can't speak to that. Maybe
buy a couple of larger flash disks in bulk? Otherwise clean up the
file system, load the code from sftp/ftp/tftp and upgrade with
no-copy. That way you don't have to transfer it locally.

Hope this helps,
-Tim Eberhard