[j-nsp] J-Series Router Options

Michel de Nostredame d.nostra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:58:29 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:18 AM, R. Benjamin Kessler
<Ben.Kessler at zenetra.com> wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> We have a client with a lot of J-Series routers running 9.3 code or earlier.  We really like the features and functionality of JUNOS as a router and are more than a little annoyed that Juniper seems to be forcing us to turn these routers into firewalls.
>
> What are others doing to deal with the "flow" issues associated with more recent versions of code?
>
> Also, many of these routers have "small" CF cards (e.g. 256MB or 512MB) which will also cause issues with more modern versions of code.
>
> I'm interested in knowing how others have tackled these challenges for customers with hundreds of these in the field.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

>From my observations, Juniper for certain reason does not care about
existing customers on this by forcing everyone moves to flow-mode. And
only provide workaround for customers to run packet-mode by breaking
several functions.

My company has lots of J-series routers with 9.3s13 packet-mode
(legacy) JUNOS. Everything is fine until we need some newer functions
in few specific nodes. After upgrade to newer version, say 10.2r4.8,
we manually turned it into packet-mode. However, we lost some of nice
features such as j-flow and IPSEC. That soon became operation
headache.

The reason we stay in r4.8 for now is because of RAM limitation that
r4.8 is the last release could be installed on 512MB RAM model.

--
Michel~