[j-nsp] J-Series Router Options

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 16:10:12 EST 2011

On 11/07/2011 02:18 PM, R. Benjamin Kessler wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> We have a client with a lot of J-Series routers running 9.3 code or
> earlier.  We really like the features and functionality of JUNOS as a
> router and are more than a little annoyed that Juniper seems to be
> forcing us to turn these routers into firewalls.

Agreed.

> What are others doing to deal with the "flow" issues associated with
> more recent versions of code?

We simply upgraded the RAM and forced packet mode.

Interestingly, we're toying with the idea of using the little SRX2xx
series devices in place of J-series. They're a LOT smaller than the
(enormous!) J-Series and seem to us to be no worse. We've got a couple
in service and they work fine.

> I'm interested in knowing how others have tackled these challenges
> for customers with hundreds of these in the field.

Well, we don't have hundreds... in that case, the RAM/flash upgrades
will take a tedious amount of time.