[j-nsp] QFX3500 as ToR switch?

Sargun Dhillon sargun at sargun.me
Wed Nov 9 00:58:51 EST 2011

So, I realize the QFX3500 is more a low-latency, high performance switch. I'm fine with the form factor, as this will probably be put into a server cabinet. I have the a problem, because I can either buy two QFX3500s, or two EX4500s.

The requirements dictate both a storage, and IP network. There are about a dozen virtual "environments" on the network as well, which need their own vlan, and preferably, their own routing table.

Much to my chagrin, the QFX3500 is missing support for VR at the moment. Additionally, I would like to be able to hook-up 4 QFX3500s, while still having redundancy, and not having to buy two QFX3500s to use as a "mini-core". QFabric is a tad overkill for this, I feel. To me, this seems like an ideal problem to solve with VPLS, but neither the QFX3500 nor EX4500 have support for either of those features yet. From my understanding, the hardware supports it, but Juniper just hasn't put it into Junos yet. If anyone knows what the roadmap is on this, please contact me off-list.

So, given two excellent options for two very different pieces of hardware, what would you choose?