[j-nsp] BGP routes processing

biwa net biwa2go at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 16:28:02 EST 2011

Hi Will

The 20 min is from the box itself,

Basically I have a client directly connected the MX960 and I basically try
to ping /traceroute  BGP prefixes on the internet through the the transit
provider.

As it is new device coming into the network, we are just doing testing (no
production traffic yet) , The configuration is not overly complicated,
currently it only has simple config such as ISIS , BGP routes, NO
RIB-groups, we have some LDP mpls configuration , but really it's no much

Maybe my way of checking is not good, but what I am doing , is
ping/traceroute to prefixes on the Internet (our transit from whome we
receive the full table being our EBGP nexthop )

when doing ping/traceroute, I always get next hop not reachable , as if the
PFE does not know how to reach the destination (ie does not have the route).

After 15-20 min ,the same ping/traceroute is then working fine which make
me believe that somehow the full BGP table route receive from the provider
(RIB-In) is taking 15-20min to go through the Rib Loc and Rib out and
installed in the PFE.

Currently it is not an issue since we usually do test before bringing the
box in production , but as we will go ahead other box will come in
production and cant afford to wait 15-20 min to have the PFE getting the
full table

anyway you can advise on how I can check how long it takes from the Rib-in
to Rib out /PFE (cmds etcc..)?