[j-nsp] Number of named communities per routing policy term ?

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:38:01 EST 2011

  I was recently setting up a hub and spoke using RFC4364 VRFs, and
when configuring the hub side (MX80 running 10.3R??), I had to create
it's vrf-import policy to allow routes from all the spoke sites (which
all have their own unique VRF ID).  I had 20 or so listed in the match
part of the policy, something like this...

[edit policy-options policy-statement MYPOLICY]
term import-spokes {
  from community [spoke1 spoke2 spoke3 .......]
  then accept;
}
term else-reject {
  then reject;
}

  I noticed that several of the spoke routes weren't being imported
into the hub's routing table, and then noticed that they were routes
whose communities were listed last in the above list of communities.
So, I split the 'import-spokes' term into 2 terms, listing half the
named communities in one match, and the other ones in the 2nd term,
and that seemed to work.

  I check the docs to see if there's a hard limit on # of communities
per 'from' statement but didn't find anything.  Anyone know if there's
an undocumented hard limit (or documented, and I didn't find it) ?

David