[j-nsp] Number of named communities per routing policy term ?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Nov 23 03:07:33 EST 2011

On (2011-11-22 16:38 -0700), David Ball wrote:

>   I check the docs to see if there's a hard limit on # of communities
> per 'from' statement but didn't find anything.  Anyone know if there's
> an undocumented hard limit (or documented, and I didn't find it) ?

Sorry no clue of such limit, but 'show bgp targets' in both cases might be
interesting.

Your config is just fine and it should be supported, having said that, I
would not do hub+spoke this way. How I'd run hub+spoke is that I'd have 1
RT including hub routes (like 0.0.0.0/0) and 1 RT including spoke routes.

Spokes import hub-rt and export spoke-rt, and bub imports spoke-rt and
exports hub-rt. Now when you add spokes, you don't have to touch hub at
all.

Then you need to consider if there are many spokes in single PE, if you
want to put them in separate routing-instance (and allocate new RD always,
no new RTs though) or if you want to put all sites in single
routing-instance and use 'half-duplex VRF' to ensure traffic in local PE
between spokes does not go directly. Which is better for you, will depend
on how typical it is to have many spokes in single PE.

--
  ++ytti