[j-nsp] End host mapping tool

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Sun Nov 27 21:45:32 EST 2011

Hi,

I've previously used a great free network discovery / management tool called NeDi ( http://nedi.ch ) - supports multiple vendors, discovers network kit and hosts on the network, integrates with Cacti - really rich feature set. Note that I have not used it with Juniper kit, but it should support at least some of it. It discovers the network based on snmp and lldp, starting from the default gw - or you can add network kit manually.

Again it might be another tool that doesn't handle Juniper MIBs too well, but I think it's worth a shot.

Also, if you use mostly DHCP and you have access / control over your DHCP infrastructure, you can track your hosts using DHCP snooping and option 82 - the forwarding kit will tell your DHCP server what each client is physically connected to (device, interface). Even commercial IPAM systems often use ISC dhcpd in the background so it should be possible to get this working even if the ipam tool doesn't directly support this.

Regards,
Wojciech

-
Wojciech Owczarek