[j-nsp] PIM neighbor not coming up on MVPN

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 30 12:00:01 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:46:17 PM Jose María
Carrera wrote:

> CE (receiver) --------PE1------P1----P2-----PE2------CE
> (RP)---source
>
> Does it need to be configured on PE1, P1, P2 and PE2? Or
> only on the PE routers, which are running the MVPN ?

If NG-MVPN, PIM is only needed on PE2 and PE1 (PE1 mostly to
bring up IGMP, not so much for PIM itself).

P1 and P2 would run MPLS if that's your data plane, negating
the need for PIM. But if you're running NG-MVPN with IP/GRE
as your data plane, then you'd need to enable PIM on your P1
and P2 routers as well.

Not much experience with Rosen MVPN, if that's what you
have. I'm sure Stacy and others can help here.

Mark.