[j-nsp] vpls loop avoidance

Humair Ali humair.s.ali at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:01:58 EDT 2011

Hi Keegan

As far as I know , in VPLS, it uses split horizon as loop avoidance
mechanism , and  you should not see any loop occurring in a VPLS
setup,(pending the rest of config is correct)

The only way you could have a loop in VPLS is when you start having your CE
dual homed , where in that case you need to either configure STP , or you
could use the primary/backup knob to define which PE is the primary and
which is the back up.

As for BUM traffic, If you take the VPLS as a giant switch then you are
bound to see those traffic flooded everywhere in the network, personally as
best practice,I used a filter on each PE's to policed the amount of BUM
traffic , so that it doesn't use too much CPU/memory on the PE's to process
these packets.

I would like to hear also from others in the list who could provide more
best practice

Cheers

On 11 October 2011 20:19, Keegan Holley <keegan.holley at sungard.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get my handle on vpls loop avoidance and I can't remember the
> default behavior regarding site-id's and node-id's.  I remember reading
> about it in one config guide or another but I can't seem to find it now.
> I'm trying to remember if broadcast, multicast and unknown unicast is
> flooded between PE router interfaces with the same site id's and maybe just
> some general guidelines on their behavior.  I'm trying to understand best
> practices for loop avoidance.  It seems to loop with any standards based
> STP
> protocol if two or more interfaces are connected to routers configured with
> the same site-id.  The behavior I see seems to be the opposite of what the
> website says.
>

> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/concept/vpn-configuring-ethernet-switch-as-the-ce-device.html

Humair