[j-nsp] vpls loop avoidance

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Oct 11 16:14:53 EDT 2011

2011/10/11 Humair Ali <humair.s.ali at gmail.com>

> Hi Keegan
>
> As far as I know , in VPLS, it uses split horizon as loop avoidance
> mechanism , and  you should not see any loop occurring in a VPLS
> setup,(pending the rest of config is correct)

Yes it is BGP signaled so that will solve the loops on the core facing
interfaces.

> The only way you could have a loop in VPLS is when you start having your CE
> dual homed , where in that case you need to either configure STP , or you
> could use the primary/backup knob to define which PE is the primary and
> which is the back up.

STP doesn't seem to work here.  Only cisco PVST which doesn't help me on an
EX4200.  Primary/backup has to do with multihoming which works as well.  I'd
like to know why this works when the site-id's are the same and why the
l2forwarding instance doesn't work.  I'm also curious why cisco pvst works
and none of the standards based protocols.