[j-nsp] SRX100/2x0 as small MPLS CPE?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:05:00 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-26, at 9:03 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:

> Does anybody have any real test results of MPLS throughput on the SRX series?

I've done some work with the SRX210 doing L2Circuits/EoMPLS (for E-LINE style ethernet), coupled with the "new" Gig-E SFP capable mPIM. The throughput numbers are quite good in one direction (800-900 Mbit), but bi-directionally, I couldn't get more than 425 Mbit/sec at 1518 byte Eth Frames (as the 'customer' EoMPLS payload).

It's exacerbated by smaller (64 byte) Ethernet frames to be transported - this is due to a fixed PPS number on the SRX210. I don't think the hardware itself is running out of grunt - but more of a self-imposed packets-per-second limit on the SRX210. Another caveat is there's no 802.1p/DSCP CoS "deep inspection" on J/SRX family-ccc interfaces - so don't expect to be able to map 1p to EXP bits on the LSP to enforce any type of differentiated QoS on the EoMPLS circuit across the Metro.

However, if you're looking for a cheap simple 100-400Mbit EoMPLS/L2CKT endpoint - then it's pretty awesome for that.

- CK.