[j-nsp] Securing management access to Juniper gear

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Fri Sep 2 14:37:11 EDT 2011

Hi Matthew -

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 02:28:03PM -0400, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
> What is the recommend/preferred way to secure the SSH & Web access to
> a piece of JunOS gear?  I have a couple routers (MX80) and switches
> (EX4200) that are remote.   Can I attach packet filters to the system
> services (HTTP,SSH)?  Do I attach the packet filter to the lo0
> interface?

You typically attach a firewall filter to the lo0 interface to secure
the routing engine.

For more information I highly recommend the following day one book,
which goes over this in detail:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/community/junos/training-certification/day-one/fundamentals-series/securing-routing-engine/

I'm not an EX guru, but I believe the same concepts can be applied.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox at prolixium.com