[j-nsp] Securing management access to Juniper gear

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Sep 3 09:18:51 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 02:37:11PM -0400, Mark Kamichoff wrote:

> I'm not an EX guru, but I believe the same concepts can be applied.

With the caveats that:

1) lo0 filters *WILL* (quite incorrectly) match data plane exception
packets that get punted to the RE for further processing as well, such
as TTL expiring traceroute packets routing THROUGH the box. Mostly this
issue applies to EX, which seems to punt a whole bunch of everything to
the RE rather than deal with it on the FPC CPU like traditional Juniper
hardware, but the same thing actually still happens with TTL expiring
packets being popped out of an LSP on MX Trio hardware too. You need to
make exceptions for this in your lo0 filter, or else you'll find your
control plane filters matching more than just control plane packets,
breaking traceroute/etc, and generally pissing everyone off. I believe
there was also a related ongoing issue on EX where an lo0 filter with an
explicit deny of all traffic at the end would actually match ARP traffic
too, so you should probably be careful with those as well. :)

2) EX lo0 filters don't actually work correctly for DoS prevention, they
get applied *AFTER* the packets have already destroyed the RE, and thus
are completely ineffective at defending the boxes from attack. The only
way to correctly block control plane traffic on EX is with ingress
filters on "real" intefaces (or RVIs).