[j-nsp] MX RE how fast is slow

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 8 10:48:41 EDT 2011

On (2011-09-08 15:30 +0100), Mike Williams wrote:

> Sorry, the commit time is fine, couple seconds tops.
>
> # show | display set | count
> Count: 1057 lines
>
> After that the RE goes off and and runs the 700k routes it has already got in
> inet.0 through the policy, "repopulating" the 2 other RIBs. It's this which
> takes the time.
>
> The fact it takes several minutes to run is only a moderate annoyance.
> Especially now others have confirmed that the MX80 really isn't that fast at
> all.

Hmm, could you during this operations run 'top' in CLIa and couple times 'show
chassis routing-engine' (and maybe even 'show chassis tfeb' just in case) just
to see if what you're doing is CPU bound.

I'm not entirely convinced that all blame can be put on RE, maybe JNPR has less
optimized code for PPC than Intel, some timing issues etc.
RSP720 has less beefy CPU but feels lot snappier with RIB.

--
  ++ytti