[j-nsp] load balancing in Route reflector scenario

Ignacio Vazquez ignacio.vazquez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 11:27:51 EDT 2011

Hello,

 I have tried for the last 3 years to push all vendors to implement
something like this:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raszuk-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-00
But they never find a Bussiness Case to deploy it.

It good be great to have a smart route reflector that sends the best NH to
each remote PE, depending of the IGP and metric of the remote PE, so the RR
will give NextHop 1 to the router A since it knows the IGP topology and know
what router A would choose (assuming IGP as the factor to break the even
between NHs) and the same RR will send Next Hop 2 to the router B since
(again) knows the best NH for router B since RR knows the IGP topology.

To make this smart super RR it is necessary for the RR to calculate Dijstra
as if the RR were the remote router and use this calculation to choose the
best NH for this remote router.

 You will have just one or two super RR and more idle routers since they
will just have one full-routing table with the best NH.

Regards.

Ignacio