[j-nsp] MX RE how fast is slow

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 8 15:55:51 EDT 2011

On (2011-09-08 10:52 -0700), Abhi wrote:

> Not to sure but I understand that ppc support would be part of free bsd kernel so would that require change to the process running on the top of them; if yes what kind of changes these would be?

To my understanding RPD process is very much OS inside OS type of deal, it has
its own memory management, own scheduler etc., so any complexities you might
have experienced when linux/freebsd/windows was being ported to another
platforms you might experience in RPD. So you're not exactly getting 'free
ride' when porting.

IOS-XR and NX-OS are relying on the OS very much, many/most things are
separated as user processes inside the OS, IOS-XE and JunOS are somewhat
all-inclusive monolithic process running on top of NIX.

--
  ++ytti