[j-nsp] MX RE how fast is slow

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Sat Sep 10 09:17:41 EDT 2011

ytti said:

To my understanding RPD process is very much OS inside OS type of deal, it has
its own memory management, own scheduler etc., so any complexities you might
have experienced when linux/freebsd/windows was being ported to another
platforms you might experience in RPD. So you're not exactly getting 'free
ride' when porting.

IOS-XR and NX-OS are relying on the OS very much, many/most things are
separated as user processes inside the OS, IOS-XE and JunOS are somewhat
all-inclusive monolithic process running on top of NIX.

--
With all of this talk of how slow the MX80's RE is it got me wondering what is a fast RE?

For instance (and this is a bad example because it's old..) on my PRP-2s it takes about 5-6 minutes before it settles after a link flap.

Just wondering how fast it should/could be and which routers have the fastest RE.

thanks,
-Drew