[j-nsp] What does AS path attribute problem mean?

Markus universe at truemetal.org
Fri Sep 9 11:41:18 EDT 2011

All of a sudden without changing anything in the config I'm getting the
following on a M7i running 8.0R2.8:

rpd[3019]: bgp_read_v4_update: NOTIFICATION sent to 89.146.xx.49
(External AS xxxx): code 3 (Update Message Error) subcode 11 (AS path
attribute problem)

The other end (Cisco) is getting:

%BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor 89.146.xx.50 3/11 (invalid
or corrupt AS path) 0 bytes

This is causing the BGP session to flap. It happens at arbitrary
intervals, sometimes once a minute, sometimes just once in an hour. CFEB
and RE CPU are at steady 100% when it happens.

What can I do about this and what could be the cause? Help! :)

Thanks!
Markus