[j-nsp] How can change the OSPF backbone area number other 0?

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Sep 12 10:21:16 EDT 2011

On 9/12/11 01:19 , medrees wrote:
> Dear Experts
>

>           I'm confusing why all vendors chooses OSPF backbone area to be
> area 0

rfc 2328

  3.1.  The backbone of the Autonomous System

        The OSPF backbone is the special OSPF Area 0 (often written as
        Area 0.0.0.0, since OSPF Area ID's are typically formatted as IP
        addresses). The OSPF backbone always contains all area border
        routers. The backbone is responsible for distributing routing
        information between non-backbone areas. The backbone must be
        contiguous. However, it need not be physically contiguous;
        backbone connectivity can be established/maintained through the
        configuration of virtual links.

        Virtual links can be configured between any two backbone routers
        that have an interface to a common non-backbone area.  Virtual
        links belong to the backbone.  The protocol treats two routers
        joined by a virtual link as if they were connected by an
        unnumbered point-to-point backbone network.  On the graph of the
        backbone, two such routers are joined by arcs whose costs are
        the intra-area distances between the two routers.  The routing
        protocol traffic that flows along the virtual link uses intra-
        area routing only.

and I'm asking if there is method to change this number to any other
> to be configured in all routers within the network?

maybe I'm missing the question but not all routers in a network need to
be members of area 0.

if you're attempting to segment the backbone into smaller sections you
should probably consider is-is.