[j-nsp] out of band management - real OOB

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Sat Sep 17 20:41:20 EDT 2011

Not an answer, but a related work-around I have used is to put everything
_else_ in a virtual router instance.

This, however, has other major limitations, such as network/tunnel VPN's
terminate in, and other features depend on inet0.

The management interface not having a separate routing instance, or at least
default route, is very annoying.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Herro91 <herro91 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don't know if this will work, but have you tried executing the "file copy"
> command from within the logical system by "set cli logical-system blah" ?
>
> if this works, i don't know if you can install software from that location
> or not unfortunately.
>
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Chris Evans <chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Juniper devices have out of band ethernet ports, but have the HUGE HUGE
> > downfall of being in the main routing table conflicting with every other
> > route. This limits it usage, however a work around is to put the FXP
> > interface into a logical system (on support devices). This has downfalls
> > too, but its better than nothing. Unfortunately Juniper hasn't gotten
> this
> > clue yes, every other vendor I've used recently has full vrf/logical
> system
> > support for their OOB interfaces keeping them out of the main routing
> > table.
> >
> > One main downfall I'm running into is that I cannot copy or install
> > software
> > using the FXP port as my source for traffic. Does anyone know of a
> command
> > that will allow me to select the logical system? The current commands
> don't
> > seem to allow routing instances or logical systems to be specified.
> >
> > Something like: file copy logical-system:MGMT:ftp://blah/blah..
> >
> > Anyone have any other workarounds.  Thanks!

--  Darren Bolding                  --
--  darren at bolding.org           --