[j-nsp] upgrading from old code

Dave Diller dave at maxgigapop.net
Tue Sep 20 11:51:37 EDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	Everyone has a backup of their router configs in RANCID or something
> else, right? :)

Oh, hell yes.

>  I've not yet heard an updated story about going from one EEOL to another EEOL release
> as in the past that was actually 'too-many-versions', but I hope this was
> addressed by now.

First a point of clarification... my thought has been install-media for the clean install benefits, not jinstall as you suggested (and I agreed, which may have caused some confusion with my talk of newfs), mostly because of this exact issue - seemed impossible to stay "within reach" of the usual upgrade sequencing from 8.5 onwards.  Paul's info about E-EOL upgrade paths is very welcome, and opens up a new avenue to consider.

---

On Sep 20, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Paul Goyette wrote:

> Upgrading between any two E-EOL releases _is_ currently supported.
>
> You can even skip one intervening E-EOL release.  So, upgrading
> from 9.3 to either 10.0 or 10.4 is supported.  Upgrading from 8.5
> to 9.3 is also supported.
>
> However, upgrading from 8.5 to 10.0 (skipping 9.3) is not supported
> since we did not introduce the skip-one-EEOL-release until 9.3

Ah, this is great!

I'm leaning toward 10.4 right now, but if I wanted to land on the latest 11.2R2.4 (completely arbitrarily, as I've not looked at the release notes yet), I have two choices:

* A graceful (and supported!) upgrade path of 8.5 --> 9.3 --> 10.4 --> 11.2 via jinstall.  Even 10.X, if I stop there, still pauses once in the middle, but two hops is a heck of a lot better than expected.

or

* Install-media to do a clean single jump, losing logs etc in the process.  That seems to be the only downside.  Certainly simpler.

Am I missing anything?

-dd