[j-nsp] JunOS 10.4R8.5 on MX5? Am I forced to run 11.4+?

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Tue Apr 3 19:36:50 EDT 2012

2012/3/22 Timh Bergström <timh.bergstrom at videoplaza.com>:
> I recently bought a MX5-T (Instead of the MX80-5G) and I'm running
> 10.4R8.5 on my other MX80s and would naturally like to run the same
> codebase on all my MX-series hardware. However when I try to install
> the 10.4R8.5 release on the MX5-T it says that the platform is not
> supported, I thought the MX5/10/40 was the same hardware as the MX80
> (it surely looks the same, side-by-side)?

I just got an MX80 that won't boot 10.4 software.  Like you, I did not
want to upgrade to newer software yet, as my existing MX80s are all
running 10.4R4.5 and we are satisfied with it.

FYI my Midplane is REV 09, PEMs REV 04, QXM REV 06.  All part numbers
are identical to my existing MX80 routers in this network, the only
difference is the hardware revision numbers, and the fact that this
device doesn't seem to want to run 10.4.  I guess I won't plan on
deploying any new MX80s until I have time to test 11.2 or newer.
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts