[j-nsp] JunOS 10.4R8.5 on MX5? Am I forced to run 11.4+?

Timh Bergström timh.bergstrom at videoplaza.com
Tue Apr 10 07:56:17 EDT 2012

2012/4/4 Jeff Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>:
> I just got an MX80 that won't boot 10.4 software.  Like you, I did not
> want to upgrade to newer software yet, as my existing MX80s are all
> running 10.4R4.5 and we are satisfied with it.
>
> FYI my Midplane is REV 09, PEMs REV 04, QXM REV 06.  All part numbers
> are identical to my existing MX80 routers in this network, the only
> difference is the hardware revision numbers, and the fact that this
> device doesn't seem to want to run 10.4.  I guess I won't plan on
> deploying any new MX80s until I have time to test 11.2 or newer.
> --
> Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
> Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts

Interesting, my MX5-T's midplane is rev 08, pem's rev 04, qxm rev 06,
so it seems that the midplane is different but otherwise the same.
Isn't there a couple of Juniper employees here that could shed some
light into this? I'm currently running 11.2R5.4 as per the
JTAC-recommendation list, I have nothing major to complain about but
still, would prefer running 10.4-series as with the other edges.

//T

--
Timh Bergström
Head of System Operations