[j-nsp] Cross Platform VPLS Multihoming

Sebastien MALHEIRO Sebastien.MALHEIRO at bullpi.com
Fri Apr 6 10:57:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

Does anyone has ever configured a VPLS multihoming instance between a M and a MX (same JunOS or not) ?
We tried to do this in a Lab and we encountered some weird results, the site-preference configured locally on each router is not normally announced / received in L2VPN routes.

For Example :
For site-preference 200 configured on the MX the M will see the L2VPN route with site-preference 51200
Fir site-preference 400 configured on the M the MX will see the L2VPN route with site-preference 36865

It's like that the 2Bytes VPLS-PREFERENCE attribute is not handle the same way between each routers :
SP 100 is in binary equal to 1100100 ==> but routers see the 2 Bytes value of 01100100 00000000 = 25600
SP 200 is in binary equal to 110010000 --> but routers see the 2 Bytes value of 1001000000000001 = 36865

Between two M or two MX routers the site-preference received is the same as the one configured.

Another question, is it possible to rewrite or to ignore the VPLS-PREFERENCE attribute in L2VPN announcements ?

Thanks.

Sébastien