[j-nsp] Layer 2 feature on srx

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:13:04 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Pavel Lunin <plunin at senetsy.ru> wrote:
> 4/10/2012 Doug Hanks wrote:
>

>> I suggest that the OP use "set vlan <name>" instead of "set bridge-domain
>> <name>"  Also use "set interfaces vlan" instead of "set interfaces irb"
>>
>> I'm not even sure why the SRX accepted this configuration.
>>

> The MX-style L2 commands are supported on SRX (branch as well and yes) and
> looks like this is for transparent flow mode. With some limitations though.
> Say you can't enable flexible-ethernet-services on FE interfaces, only on
> GE. Enabling flexible-vlan-taggin gives you the following warning: "Only
> compatible with vpls vlan encapsulations" (I haven't ever seen anything
> like this on MX), etc.
>
> So as far as I understand
>
> MX-style L2 config:
>
> — for transparent flow mode,
> — IRB interfaces are for management traffic only,
> — switching performed in software for branch and I wonder where on Hi-End,
> — have no idea what happens to it in packet-mode.
>
> EX-style L2 config:
>
> — for general switching,
> — performed by broadcom chips,
> — have consequent limitation applied to ports, between which traffic can be
> switched (same PIM),
> — RVI interfaces can really route traffic (software based both in packet
> and flow modes).
>
> More details:
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/information-products/topic-collections/security/software-all/layer-2/index.html
>
> Would be pleasant If someone can sort out points I marked with "I'm not
> sure/have no idea". Or, if I'm totally wrong somewhere, please tell me.

OP wanted to use the IRB ints as next hop for their respective
networks. This is apparently not supported on the SRX platform in
transparent mode:
"In this release, the IRB interface on the SRX Series device does not
support traffic forwarding or routing. In transparent mode, packets
arriving on a Layer 2 interface that are destined for the device’s MAC
address are classified as Layer 3 traffic while packets that are not
destined for the device’s MAC address are classified as Layer 2
traffic. Packets destined for the device’s MAC address are sent to the
IRB interface. Packets from the device’s routing engine are sent out
the IRB interface."

So in transparent / IRB mode the IRB int can only be used as a
management interface.

OP needs to do is MX testing using an MX device.

> --
> Regards,
> Pavel

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$