[j-nsp] Layer 2 feature on srx

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Tue Apr 10 04:17:23 EDT 2012

4/10/2012 Doug Hanks wrote:

> I suggest that the OP use "set vlan <name>" instead of "set bridge-domain
> <name>"  Also use "set interfaces vlan" instead of "set interfaces irb"
>
> I'm not even sure why the SRX accepted this configuration.

The MX-style L2 commands are supported on SRX (branch as well and yes) and
looks like this is for transparent flow mode. With some limitations though.
Say you can't enable flexible-ethernet-services on FE interfaces, only on
GE. Enabling flexible-vlan-taggin gives you the following warning: "Only
compatible with vpls vlan encapsulations" (I haven't ever seen anything
like this on MX), etc.

So as far as I understand

MX-style L2 config:

— for transparent flow mode,
— IRB interfaces are for management traffic only,
— switching performed in software for branch and I wonder where on Hi-End,
— have no idea what happens to it in packet-mode.

EX-style L2 config:

— for general switching,
— performed by broadcom chips,
— have consequent limitation applied to ports, between which traffic can be
switched (same PIM),
— RVI interfaces can really route traffic (software based both in packet
and flow modes).

More details:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/information-products/topic-collections/security/software-all/layer-2/index.html

Would be pleasant If someone can sort out points I marked with "I'm not
sure/have no idea". Or, if I'm totally wrong somewhere, please tell me.

--
Regards,
Pavel