[j-nsp] SRX650 flowd cores immediately following automated IDP update

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:41:28 EDT 2012

Beginning yesterday, one of our SRX650 standalone units, with
automated IDP updates enabled, has been crashing immediately following
the automated IDP update process (see below).  I have other SRX units
(even other SRX650 units), that are not experiencing such a failure
during an IDP sec package update.  This has happened two days in a row
now, under similar conditions.

Apr 17 18:01:17  SRX650 idpd[1090]: IDP_SCHEDULED_UPDATE_STARTED:
Scheduled update has started(at Tue Apr 17 18:01:17 2012 )
Apr 17 18:01:54  SRX650 /kernel: Flowd process id: 1151 is dumping
core, cleaning up RTFIFO resources
Apr 17 18:09:20  SRX650 init: forwarding (PID 1151) terminated by
signal number 6. Core dumped!
Apr 17 18:11:39  SRX650 dumpd: Core and context for flowd_octeon_hm
saved in /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.0.tgz

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the above, either
beginning yesterday, or in general.  I'm running 11.4r1 on this
particular device, due to a requirement for global policy.  I've
opened a JTAC case, including the flowd core, RSI, and /var/log
contents, but they aren't providing useful information as quickly as
I'd like, and if this is something "out in the wild," I thought it
might be useful to others.

-- Eric Cables