[j-nsp] Bulk Provisioning Question

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+junipernsp at eintellego.net
Sun Apr 29 23:31:48 EDT 2012

Hey all,

We have a client who is using MX80s in front of a Vmware Cluster.

They are using the XML provisioning API to manage the provisioning on
VLAN's, Layer 3 and Layer 2 services.  Not that important what is being
provisioned though.

The issue is they want to be able to rapidly provision without causing
conflicts between provisioning processes and also NetOps staff doing
changes.

An an example, there are 4 processes at the moment which are creating
juniper config (let's keep it simple and say VLAN's with a layer 3 - which
is an ae unit, then a bridge domain, then an IRB.

The config being applied doesn't conflict (or at least shouldn't), but the
real issue comes when wanting to commit the changes.

Having 4 processes simultaneously wanting to commit is going to cause
havoc, and I am trying to find out if someone out there has an easier way
to do this.

We've considered having a single process using edit exclusive, but this is
going to slow things down significantly.

I've been looking at 'edit private' as an option, which might be
interesting, but if there are a dozen changes done, and you commit, and
there is an error somewhere, tracking that down will be a pita.

I've also thought of loading the config into a file, putting it onto the
box, then bulk importing... but this also seems an issue to catch problems.

Any thoughts?  Thanks all if anyone have any ideas.

*Skeeve Stevens, CEO*
eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net <http://www.eintellego.net.au>

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego

twitter.com/networkceoau ; www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve

PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM