[j-nsp] Bulk Provisioning Question

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Mon Apr 30 07:56:34 EDT 2012

Skeeve Stevens writes:
>We've considered having a single process using edit exclusive, but this is
>going to slow things down significantly.

Commits are serialized, so they are effectively a single process
on the box.  Using "edit private" will likely decrease performance,
since internally it's doing diff/patch processing at commit time.

I would use the <lock-configuration> RPC ("configure exclusive")
and consider pushing all changes via a single external process
that can "batch" them together, if you can trust the patches.

Also I always suggest putting application-based configuration into
a configuration group so that (a) it's easy to see what's application
provided and what's hand configured, (b) it's easy to "load replace"
that config group with new application data, and (c) the human user
can override the application using the foreground config.  It's
also easy to test application by turning off the "apply-groups" for
that app's config group.  Not required, but something that has
worked well for me.

Thanks,
 Phil