[j-nsp] redistributing label between rsvp and ldp

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Mon Apr 30 10:00:09 EDT 2012

I assumed you were exploring the configuration of the signaling protocols.
My point was that I can't think of a situation (not saying that one doesn't
exist) where I would run both protocols on purpose. At most it would happen
during a cutover from one to the other.  I can't think of many things one
protocol does that the other doesn't that are important enough to keep both
around permanently.

Also, I thought BGP signaling still depended on RSVP or LDP to advertise
the outer labels.  I would assume this is the case for any method that uses
BGP signalling because there is no way to map a BGP advertisement to a
particular interface and labels are only locally significant.  I'm not an
expert though.

I haven't done much research either but here's an excerpt from the RFC I
found:

2. Transport IPv6 packets from the ingress 6PE router to the egress
      6PE router over IPv4-signaled LSPs:

      The ingress 6PE router MUST forward IPv6 data over the IPv4-
      signaled LSP towards the egress 6PE router identified by the IPv4
      address advertised in the IPv4-mapped IPv6 address of the BGP Next
      Hop for the corresponding IPv6 prefix.

3.  Transport over IPv4-signaled LSPs and IPv6 Label Binding

   In this approach, the IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses allow a 6PE router
   that has to forward an IPv6 packet to automatically determine the
   IPv4-signaled LSP to use for a particular IPv6 destination by looking
   at the MP-BGP routing information.

   The IPv4-signaled LSPs can be established using any existing
   technique for label setup [RFC3031] (LDP, RSVP-TE, etc.).

   To ensure interoperability among systems that implement the 6PE
   approach described in this document, all such systems MUST support
   tunneling using IPv4-signaled MPLS LSPs established by LDP [RFC3036].

   When tunneling IPv6 packets over the IPv4 MPLS backbone, rather than
   successively prepend an IPv4 header and then perform label imposition
 When tunneling IPv6 packets over the IPv4 MPLS backbone, rather than
   successively prepend an IPv4 header and then perform label imposition
   based on the IPv4 header, the ingress 6PE Router MUST directly
   perform label imposition of the IPv6 header without prepending any
   IPv4 header.  The (outer) label imposed MUST correspond to the IPv4-
   signaled LSP starting on the ingress 6PE Router and ending on the
   egress 6PE Router.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4798.txt