[j-nsp] redistributing label between rsvp and ldp

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:12:57 EDT 2012

I'm not aware of a feature to "stitch" together an LDP LSP to an RSVP LSP
on a mid-point node, to the best of my knowledge.  The P nodes switch
traffic based on the ingress label, when the RSVP tail end node pops the
last label allocated for the RSVP LSP it will expect whatever traffic it
is carrying to terminate locally.   If you are using a feature like
LDPoRSVP the RSVP LSP acts as a virtual interface so to speak which
participates in LDP so it knows where to send the traffic based on the
second LDP label after popping the RSVP label.   Your best bet is to use
RFC3107 labeled BGP but to make that work you'll have to use BGP between
the boundary P nodes and the PE routers.   Each PE will learn the address
for the other PE via labeled BGP with the next-hop set to the boundary
node and then each segment will use RSVP or LDP respectively to get
between the boundary nodes to the PE and vice versa.

There are features, at least with some vendors, to stitch together BGP to
LDP and vice versa since nodes like PE1/PE2 may not support labeled BGP,
but the boundary router doing the stitching needs to keep track of that.

Easier to just run one protocol. :)

Phil