[j-nsp] Information for expected fragmentation behavior on IPsec tunnel

Terry Jones terry.jones at war-eagle.me
Fri Aug 10 15:36:02 EDT 2012

Greetings All,

Could someone please point me in the direction of some good information for
a current setup I have and would like to know what the expected behavior is.

I have a site-to-site VPN setup between two SRX's. I'm in a development lab
that has a static NAT out to the internet through the corporate network.
(The other lab I'm connecting to is not local). Our connection to the
corporate network is to an ASA that DOES NOT support jumbo frames. I have
jumbo frames configured on the st0 interface and all interfaces all the way
back to the hosts on my side of the network. Same goes for the lab on the
other side of the tunnel. So I have 9000 bytes configured end-to-end,
however the transport the tunnel is configured across only supports std 1500
bytes frames.

The developers are sending 2000+ bytes sized packets that have the DF bit
set (and it has to be as such for now).

I am trying to determine the expected behavior. I've been told that the
IPsec tunnel will fragment the traffic b/c it will not copy the DF bit from
the original packet once it is encapsulated, however, I cannot ping through
the tunnel with large packet sizes and the DF bit set. I've found a lot of
information and have worked a lot with fragmentation, but can't find
anything on this exact type of scenario.

Thanks in advance for any input or information.

Sincerely,

Terry