[j-nsp] Strange ARP issue on M7i

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 15 03:41:08 EDT 2012

On (2012-08-15 00:21 -0700), Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

> My thing was more along the lines that routing (RIB) / next-hop path
> information ought to be learned and/or monitored over protocols that
> ride that same path, so that any path failures are detected and routed
> around.

In static route they are also, ARP timeout in JunOS is 20min by default, so
it'll just take quite long time to invalidate the static route (short of
bugs like the OP sees)

Cisco has 4h, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Linux uses 1min, which is better than default BGP holdtime in Cisco or
Juniper. So statically routed Linux would converge faster than BGP routed
Juniper in sudden disappearance of peer.

Of course both ARP timeout and BGP holdtime are tunable as well as either
BGP or static could run BFD.

--
  ++ytti