[j-nsp] SRX as a server load balancer for service redundancy?

OBrien, Will ObrienH at missouri.edu
Wed Aug 15 12:07:40 EDT 2012

I'm wondering if I can do a simple server load balancer using a SRX.

Example:
Server A offers up service on port xxxx.

Server B has the same service.

If Server A goes offline, send traffic over to server B.
Resume when Server A becomes available again.

One thought is to use something like track-ip to push a static nat mapping around.
Ideally, I'd love to monitor the port.

Ideas or examples? This is really just for failover, rather than load balancing.

I suppose I could monitor the service from a control machine and have a script execute a configuration change if the service becomes unreachable.
I'd prefer it if the entire process were managed from the SRX.

(In this case it's a pair of clustered SRX 210s.)

Will