[j-nsp] juniper cisco switch interconnection

Joe Horton jhorton at juniper.net
Mon Dec 10 18:50:56 EST 2012

Here is a quick summary of the JUNOS RSTP/VSTP interop behavior.

If you enable RSTP on the Juniper side, and do NOT set any native-vlans on any of the cisco ports connected to juniper, then JUNOS will interop with the cisco RSTP frames sent untagged, and VLAN1 will block correctly.  The cisco devices will see each other via PVST on all other VLANs and block those accordingly.

If you only enable VSTP on the Juniper side and you define VLAN 1 on the Juniper side with a vlan tag of 1 specified, then bad things happen prior to 12.1r2/12.2 software.  This is due to the fact that JUNOS transmits/expects tagged packets for VLAN1 and drops all untagged STP frames.  While the cisco device will transmit untagged STP frames to both the STP MAC and the PVST MAC, but both are untagged.  So basically the Juniper and the Cisco will not see each other on the wire.
With 12.1r2 and 12.2 software, JUNOS will behave similarly to the cisco side, in that it will transmit the VSTP(PVST) frames untagged.

If you enable both RSTP and VSTP on the Juniper side and you define VLAN 1 on the Juniper side with a VLAN tag of 1 specified, the behavior is the same as above, as RSTP won't be transmitted out the interface because all VLANs have VLAN-IDs associated with them.  Again 12.1r2/12.2 and beyond address this.

If you enable RSTP and VSTP on the Juniper side and you define VLAN 1 WITHOUT a VLAN id defined, then all is well, as the Juniper will interoperate with Cisco on all VLANs other than VLAN1 using VSTP/PVST, and it will interoperate with the Cisco on VLAN1 using RSTP.  This behavior can be used on all releases prior to 12.1r2/12.2 based on what I've seen in the past.  There is a minimum release in which to run RSTP+VSTP, but I don't remember that off the top of my head, probably a low 10.x release.

Joe