[j-nsp] juniper cisco switch interconnection

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Mon Dec 10 19:30:03 EST 2012

ooh VSTP/PVST+ interop.  Boy have we had some fun here over the years..

Cisco PVST+ sends IEEE and Cisco BPDUs on the *native* VLAN and Cisco BPDUs for each VLAN that is tagged on an interface.

Juniper VSTP only sends  IEEE BPDUs on the native VLAN 1 (or did as of 11.4) but sends Cisco BPDUs for each tagged VLAN.

A gotcha to watch out for is if you are using "default" VLAN in Junos as your native, you need to manually set the VLAN-ID to 1 or the VSTP config will not pick it up:

set vlan default vlan-id 1

There is a change in 12.2 regarding something similar to this:

"VSTP compatibility with Cisco PVST+—When you configure VSTP using the set protocol vstp vlan all configuration mode command, VLAN ID 1 is now excluded, thus making Junos OS VSTP compatible with Cisco PVST+. To include VLAN ID 1 in the VSTP VLAN, you must now add it explicitly using the set protocol vstp vlan 1 configuration mode command."

If you're in a pure Juniper environment, you don't need to worry too much though - as long as you have a common native VLAN (or even if you have none) everything generally works pretty well provided you make sure you're not running an EX software version affected by this bad boy:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB22111&cat=EX_SERIES&actp=LIST&smlogin=true

If your VLAN count is getting up over 100, consider MSTP - the CPU thrashing on a 3550 or 3750 when they all reconverge has some NASTY side-effects (like delaying the sending of BPDUs, causing the issue to spiral even further).