[j-nsp] Juniper Shaping TC, Odd Spirent Results

Matt Bentley mattdbentley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:03:23 EST 2012

Thanks.  Unfortunately, a code upgrade isn't going to happen for us - at
least for a good while yet.  I'm opening the JTAC case to try to determine
what the default BC is that they don't let me configure on our existing
code.  Then at least I know what the limitations I'm forced to deal with
pending an upgrade are.

I did some testing myself, and am not seeing consistent results.  The burst
I can pass varies depending on both the numbers of bits I'm sending at full
speed as well as the frame count/frame size ratio.  For example, sending
10,000 1250 byte frames does not yield even close to the same dropped bits
that 20,000 625 byte frames does.  And also, if I send a 10Mb burst, a
different number of bits gets through vs a 11Mb burst.  The second one I
sort of expect, since I'm sending for longer, but it definite doesn't make
it easy to calculate the BC.

Hopefully this makes sense.