[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Feb 23 05:31:43 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 02:27:40PM -0600, Robert Juric wrote:
> Juniper also has only tested and verified their equipment with their
> optics. If you want to know without doubt that it will work, go
> straight to the source.

"Without doubt" will give you surprises. See PR/486951 for extended
fun with certain revision of Juniper-premium-price-sold Picolight/JDSU
XFPs with links not coming up anymore. Or the desaster with early
revision of Methode Elec. SFP-T which had a bad physical design of
the locking/ejection mechanics so you were almost unable to remove
them from without damaging the DPC.

Bottom line: we had far less trouble with 3rd party transceivers than
with Juniper premium priced transceivers.... for a fraction of cost.

Best regards,
Daniel